The chemical acetone is known to cause rare heart attacks, strokes and lung cancers, but it’s also known to lead to other health problems, including lung cancer.
A new study of acetone in bottles has found it can also be found in a new, potentially fatal form.
Researchers from the University of Washington found acetone at levels as low as 0.1 percent in some acetone bottles.
That’s well below the federal limit of 0.3 percent.
The researchers believe that acetone might be a common component in other household chemicals and could be a contributing factor to rare cases of a rare, but deadly, form of lung cancer called cystic fibrosis.
The research is published in the Journal of Environmental Quality.
“This finding raises concerns about acetone’s safety in many different household and household products,” said lead author Dr. Sarah Koehler.
“For example, acetone can cause asthma, but people are exposed to acetone on a daily basis when they’re washing their hands, so we don’t know how widespread it is.”
These results are particularly worrisome because acetone has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use in a number of consumer products.
“In our study, acetones concentrations were as low at 0.0.5 percent, which is lower than the maximum amount approved for use for use by the FDA, but well above the 0.01 percent concentration that is required by the Environmental Protection Agency,” Koehl said.
“This level of exposure to acetones is considered safe for most people.”
Our results also raise concerns about the level of acetones in many household products.
For example, there is no safe level of the chemical for consumers to ingest, but some household products are made with a higher concentration of acetons than other types.
“Our findings raise questions about how the FDA is protecting consumers from acetone exposure and how it might be doing so in order to protect against cystic lung disease.”
Koehler said her team found acetones at a lower concentration than previously thought, and that higher concentrations of the ingredient may be found throughout the environment.
“Although we are not aware of any specific studies on acetone levels in the environment, we do know that acetones have been found in soil and in water,” she said.
Koehl and her colleagues tested two types of aceton products.
The first was a product made of 100-percent ethanol, or ethanol-alcohol acetone.
The second was made of a liquid acetone that contains less than 0.5 milligrams of acetonite.
“We found the highest acetone concentration in the ethanol product,” Kuehler said.
The higher concentration was found in the acetone product, and the higher acetone content was also found in several other household products, including laundry detergents and toothpaste.
The researchers say they hope their findings will help lead to the regulation of acetonal products, as well as help protect consumers.
“It’s not clear if acetones are safe for consumer use,” said Koehls team leader, Dr. Karen Sutter.
“It’s certainly a concern for us because we want to get the FDA to look at the products that they are making and what they are using.”
The goal is to create safer products and better products, and if we can figure out what’s causing the problem, we can reduce the risk for the consumers and make sure they’re getting a product that’s safe for their consumption,” she added.